Chief Compliance Officer & General Counsel
As the Chief Compliance Officer & General Counsel for ZaZa Energy Corporation, Mr. Scott Gaille serves as the chief legal officer responsible for overseeing the corporation's transactional, regulatory and litigation matters.
Prior to joining ZaZa Energy, Mr. Gaille founded the Gaille Group in 2007, which has included, among other companies, a multi-family investment office with $400 million under management.
Previously, Mr. Gaille was Director - Business Development for Occidental Oil & Gas Corporation from July 2004 to August 2007. His responsibilities there included starting and growing new business units in Africa, the Middle East and South America.
Prior to joining Oxy's legal department in 2001, Mr. Gaille practiced law with the Energy Section of Vinson & Elkins and with the Honorable Chief Judge J. Harvie Wilkinson, III of the United States Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, where he served as Judicial Clerk during the Court's 1995-1996 judicial term.
Mr. Gaille was an Olin Fellow in Law and Economics at the University of Chicago, where he received his Doctor of Law Degree with High Honors in 1995. He was elected to Order of the Coif and to The University of Chicago Law Review and served as Executive Editor of the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy (Vol. 18, No. 2). Through various economic workshops at the University of Chicago, Mr. Gaille participated in the analysis of certain issues with Nobel Laureates Ronald Coase and Gary Becker, and worked as a research assistant to The Honorable Judge Richard Posner of the United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit. Mr. Gaille attended undergraduate college at the University of Texas at Austin, where he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Government with High Honors and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
Mr. Gaille also is an Adjunct Professor of Management at Rice University, where he teaches International Energy Development to MBA students. In addition, he is the author of several books and articles, including:
- International Energy Development (2011), which is based on the teachings for his course at Rice University
- "Mitigating the Resource Curse: A Proposal for a Microfinance and Educational Lending Royalty" (Energy Law Journal 2011)
- "The Allocation of International Petroleum Licenses to National Oil Companies: Insights from the Coase Theorem" (Energy Law Journal 2010)
- "The Use of Quantity Terms to Improve Efficiency and Stability in International Gas Sales & Purchase Agreements," (Energy Law Journal 2008)
- "Publishing by U.S. Court of Appeals Judges: Before and After the Bork Hearings", 26 Journal of Legal Studies 371 (University of Chicago 1997)
Scott serves on the Board of Trustees and the Finance Committee for the Houston Grand Opera and is a Life Member of the National Eagle Scout Association. Having traveled to more than 100 countries and lived in Dubai, United Arab Emirates for three years, Mr. Gaille has built business relationships with a culturally diverse range of partners from around the globe.